Thursday, September 3, 2026

6814. Friendship. Song

 

Compose a friendship song based on the following scenaro. Write a song about reciprocity in maintaining the friendship between a young and older lady friend over the last chapters of life. Two Chinese ladies. The younger lady is a career lady, short hair, fair and wears black dress. The elder lady with silver hair is retired, short hair, fair and wears green tee shirt and black pants. They meet at a coffee shop. The younger lady was not happy that the elder lady had not reciprocated by phoning her to ask if she is okay. The elder lady has the personality of not reciprocating by phoning to ask if she is okay as she also does not reciprocate to other friends too.

I’ve written this as a gentle, mature friendship song rather than a song of accusation. The central theme is that care may be felt silently, but friendship sometimes needs that care to be expressed and reciprocated.

WHEN YOU REACH, I’LL REACH BACK

A Song About Friendship in the Later Chapters

Verse 1
Two women meet where the coffee flows,
Two different lives, two different roads.
One in black, with her short hair bright,
Carrying dreams through the day and night.
She built her world with a working heart,
Always moving, always doing her part.

Across the table, silver hair,
A woman retired, with time to spare.
Green T-shirt, black pants, gentle smile,
She has walked through life for many a mile.
She carries her friendships quietly,
Believing love needs no asking to be.

Pre-Chorus
But sometimes silence isn't understood,
Even when the heart has meant it good.
One heart waits, another doesn't know—
And slowly, slowly, the distance grows.

Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Don't let friendship lose its track.
When you're hurting, let me know,
I'll be there; I won't let go.
We don't have to count each call,
Or keep a score of who gave all.
But if you matter, let it show—
When you reach, I'll reach back to you.

Verse 2
"You knew I wasn't feeling right.
Did you think of me that lonely night?
I waited for your telephone,
Wondering if I mattered when I was alone."

The elder woman lowers her eyes,
There is no anger, no disguise.
*"I did think of you, I truly did.
I just don't make those calls," she said.
"I've always been this way with friends.
I wait for them; that's how it has been."

She never meant her silence to say
That love had somehow slipped away.
She thought affection could quietly stay,
Like an old familiar song that never fades.

Pre-Chorus
But now she sees what she couldn't see—
Love in the heart isn't always enough to be
Heard by the one who's waiting there.
Sometimes love must become an answered prayer.

Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Don't let friendship lose its track.
When you're hurting, let me know,
I'll be there; I won't let go.
We don't have to count each call,
Or keep a score of who gave all.
But if you matter, let it show—
When you reach, I'll reach back to you.

Bridge
We've both grown older now, my friend,
And we know that every story has an end.
There are fewer pages left to turn,
More precious moments left to learn.

So I won't ask you to become someone new,
And you won't have to change everything you do.
But perhaps once in a while,
Through all these years,
You'll pick up the phone
And cross the little distance between us.

And I'll understand your quiet ways,
The love you've carried through all your days.

Soft Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
We'll meet somewhere along the track.
You don't have to say too much,
Sometimes a simple call means such.

*"How are you?"
"Are you okay?"
Four little words can change a day.
And if tomorrow brings us far apart,
I'll still remember you inside my heart.

Final Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Let kindness fill the spaces we lack.
No keeping score, no asking why,
No leaving love for another time.

For friendship isn't just remembering
The years we've shared, the songs we've sung.
It's turning toward each other
While there is still time—

You reaching for me,
Me reaching for you,
Two friends growing older,
Still finding something new.

Outro
The coffee cups are nearly dry,
Afternoon light is fading by.
Two women rise and walk outside,
A little closer than when they arrived.

And somewhere in the evening air,
One simple promise lingers there:

If you reach for me,
I'll reach back.
While we still have time,
I'll reach back.

Make the dialogue more natural

Yes. I would make the dialogue less “written” and more like something two longtime friends might actually say over coffee—slightly hesitant, personal, and without sounding accusatory. I’d also let the elder woman explain herself naturally rather than defensively.

WHEN YOU REACH, I’LL REACH BACK

A Song About Friendship in the Later Chapters

Verse 1
Two women meet where the coffee flows,
Two different lives, two different roads.
One in black, with her short hair neat,
A career woman, strong on her feet.
She has spent her years working hard,
Carrying life and all its cards.

Across the table, silver hair,
Retired now, with a little more air.
Green T-shirt, black pants, gentle smile,
She has learned to take life slowly awhile.
She keeps her friendships close and dear,
Though she doesn't always make them clear.

Pre-Chorus
They've known each other through the years,
Shared their laughter, shared their fears.
But today, beneath the coffee and talk,
There is something heavy in the way they look.

Verse 2 — The Conversation
The younger one pauses, then softly says,

"Can I tell you something?
I've been thinking about it."

The elder looks up.

"Of course. What is it?"

"When I wasn't feeling good...
I thought you might call."

A little silence.

"You mean because I didn't call you?"

"Yes. I know you're not someone
who calls people very often.
But I guess I hoped you'd call me...
just to ask if I was okay."

The elder takes a breath.

"I did think about you."

"Really?"

"Of course. I wondered how you were.
I just... didn't think to pick up the phone."

The younger woman smiles faintly.

"That's the part I don't understand."

The elder gives a little laugh.

"You know me.
I'm not good at these things.
I don't call my other friends either.
If they call, I'm happy to talk.
I just don't think of calling first."

*"I know," she says.
"But sometimes I need to feel
that you care too."

The elder woman grows quiet.

"I never meant for you to feel that way."

"I know you didn't.
That's why I'm telling you."

Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Don't let friendship lose its track.
Sometimes I may not know the way,
Sometimes I may forget to say—
"How are you?
Are you okay?"

But I'll try a little more each day.
We don't have to count who's right or wrong,
We just have to keep our friendship strong.

Verse 3 — The Elder Woman
The elder woman looks across the table,
At the friend she has known for so long.

"You know, I've always been like this.
I keep things inside.
When I care about someone,
I think about them.
I don't always call."

She smiles sadly.

"Maybe when you're younger,
you expect people to show it more.
When you get older,
you start thinking,
'If we're friends, we know we're friends.'
You don't have to keep proving it."

The younger woman nods.

"Maybe that's where we're different."

"Maybe it is."

The elder reaches across the table.

"But I don't want you to think
I don't care just because I don't call."

"I don't think that now."

A pause.

"But maybe you could call me sometimes?"

The elder smiles.

"I can try."

"And I'll try not to keep score."

They both laugh.

Pre-Chorus
Two different hearts, two different ways,
Two generations, two different days.
One needs the words, one keeps love inside,
But neither wants the friendship to die.

Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Don't let friendship lose its track.
When you're hurting, let me know,
I'll be there; I won't let go.
I may not always say the words just right,
But I'll try to meet you halfway tonight.
We don't have to keep a perfect score,
Just leave a little love at each other's door.

Bridge
We've both grown older now, my friend,
And we know that every story has an end.
There are fewer chapters left to turn,
More precious moments left to learn.

So I won't ask you to change who you are,
And you won't have to reach too far.
But if one day I cross your mind,
Don't just think of me—
Call me sometime.

And if I say,
"How are you doing?"

Know that behind those simple words
Are all the years we've walked through.

Soft Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
Maybe that's the bridge we lacked.
No keeping score, no asking why,
No letting little silences pass us by.

"How are you?"
"Are you okay?"
Sometimes that's all we need to say.
And while we still have time to share,
Let us show each other we are there.

Final Chorus
When you reach, I'll reach back,
We'll meet somewhere along the track.
Two women, two lives, side by side,
With all the years we cannot rewind.

The younger one in black,
The elder in green,
Still finding a way
To say what they mean.

No perfect friendship,
No perfect way—
Just two old friends
Learning something new today.

Outro
The coffee cups are nearly dry,
Afternoon light is fading by.
They leave the café,
walking side by side,
A little closer than when they arrived.

And perhaps tomorrow,
when the day is through,
One phone will ring.

"Hello?"

"I was just thinking about you.
How are you?"

And on the other end,
there will be a smile.

Because sometimes,
in the last chapters of life,

love is not only remembering someone.

Love is reaching for them.

And when they reach for you—
you reach back.

This version keeps the elder woman’s personality intact—she is genuinely not a phone-caller and treats all friendships this way—while making the emotional breakthrough feel believable rather than forcing her to suddenly become someone she isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.