Saturday, August 8, 2026

6774. Retiring in Singapore after being overseas for a long time

 

how long have you been living in Singapore? Are you originally from Singapore as well? If you have some time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how Singapore has changed over the years. My parents recently told me that they're thinking about moving back to Singapore for retirement. Since you're currently living there, I'd be very interested in hearing your perspective on whether Singapore is a comfortable place for retirees, especially in terms of healthcare, daily life, and the overall quality of life.  
 
 ---- I live in Singapore for over 70 years - I am 76 years old. Healthcare is good for the average person as the public hospitals are better equipped and staffed compared to the expensive private hospitals. Daily life is safe and peaceful. Overall quality of life is good for retirees generally in the sense that you can retire on your savings if you do save over your working years and if you don't mind living in apartments which are affordable generally.  Each person has his or her own lifestyle and standard of living - hence it is hard to advise you and your family personally.  . 

As if in response to your query, yesterday, I spoke to a retired 84-year-old man who lives with his wife and has a maid paid by his son who lives elsewhere. He told me $1500 is sufficient for him and his wife with no income. He had exhausted his savings as he has no income. His wife put $50,000 into his CPF which gives him monthly allowance to pay for daily expenses. Maid's salary is paid by his 50-year-old son and his house in Lentor Estate, worth $4 million had long been paid for. He was an ex-migrant from India and was a teacher. 

I send you a photo of the young ones... how they enjoy their lifestyle cycling during weekends with friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.