Monday, November 14, 2011

733. Kennel cough follow-up by text message

The young generation prefers to text but it is not good when it comes to your pug's illness as illustrated in the following case.

Nov 13, 2011 10.59 am
Good morning Dr Sing.This is ... the owner of Zorro (Pug). We visited your cllinic on 8th. My puppy was having kennel cough and runny nose. He used to eat well and was active but this morning, he is not having any food and keeps on sleeping. When he walks, he has difficulty walking due to heavy coughing. So he walks a bit and then just sits down and he is not active anymore. Antibiotic has not been finished yet but since he seems not well, should I bring him back to the clinic?

It would be much appreciated if you could reply to my sms

Nov 13, 2011 12.04 pm
Pl tel me


Nov 13, 2011 9.31 pm
Dr Sing, I really need your help now with my pug. For all day, he rarely moved and seems no energy with him. Is there any chance we can bring him for emergency now?

I PHONED THE OWNER. As the pug was ok, I advised giving him a teaspoonful of honey + water and bring back to the clinic at 10 am on Nov 14.

On examination, the pug had copious amounts of nasal discharge. Difficulty in breathing. Some lung sounds, but no fever. I gave treatment and cough mixture.

"It is not possible to cage him 100% at home," I had advised the couple who brought the pug to me for examination one day after purchase on Nov 8.

"Play with the pug for only 5 minutes after meals which were given twice a day," I had advised. "Kennel cough is caused by virus and bacteria. Viral diseases do not have antibiotics but resting the puppy by confinement strictly in a cage will help speed recovery. Some cases take up to 3 weeks to recover."

In this case, the pug had space to run around as all puppies take advantage of freedom at a new house. He also hated taking medicine as he fought me when I syringe him 0.05 ml of the cough mixture.

"It is difficult to give him medicine by mouth," the young man said. "My pug rests his head on a soft toy," the gentleman said.
"Puppies do that when they can't breathe properly," I said. I rolled up a towel like a small pillow. The pug rested his neck on the edge of the pillow. Eyes bright but he was tired.

"Can we visit him for 15 minutes?" the gentleman asked.
"Yes," I said. "But this pug must be inside the cage for the next 2-3 days to rest." The couple came at 7 pm on the same day. Nursing, feeding, electrolytes and observation are made every 2 hourly to ensure that the pug is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment