Surprisingly, two calls this morning Jul 25, 2011
1. Hamster 1 and 2, Female, 2 years old, lady owner phoned up. Day 3 of surgery. Hamster 2 (amputee) attempted to bite stitches. What to do? Plaster? Not practical.
Hamster 1 - Ear canal ablation. Hamster eating. Objected strongly to cleaning off blood from ear. So done once only. Advised to do more cleaning. Isolfurane gas anaesthesia only but very stressful ear canal removal. Took 2 days to recover.
Hamster 2 - Confirmed leg tumour was only 5 mm diameter 6 weeks ago but grew furiously big to 1.5 cm. Leg amputated. Starting exercise wheeling. 30 g before surgery. After surgery 19 g. Hates Biolapis.
Feedback from owner who noted the following.
1. Lowered water bottle. Can't drink as only one hind leg.
2. Food bowl too high now. Hard to climb out. Use bowl from those used in Chinese household for chilli and soya sauce. A bit of spillage but hamster could eat.
3. Tempted with favourite bean sprouts. Then give baytril oral.
This hamster needed sedation IM. First day, one drop Zoletil 50 IM. No effect. Just looked at me. So, suspend all operation till 24 hours later. 2nd day, 3 drops OK. Leg bone tumour extended to inguinal. Amputated. Quite active within 1 hour.
No exercise wheel. Stitches quite many. Blue nylon 5/0
Continue on paper litter. Not so rough. But hamsters loved to shred them.
2. Hamster 3 - 81 g - loves bread, husband rushed down. 2 5/0 nylon stitches bitten off today on Day 8. Bleeding. Wife phoned. OK at clinic. No bleeding. Cut off two entangled nylon stitches. 1 remaining. Husband did not want it cut off. To observe. To reduce weight further. 79 g.
Transparent 5/0 nylon taken out
Feedback, fully active and normal on Day 3 but would eat after operation. Daily exercise on wheel. Owner quite happy.