Thursday, July 5, 2012

1063. Medicine for stray dogs and cats in Cambodia







Hi, I'm Agnes. I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia recently, distributing stationery, clothes and food to the children.
I'll be visiting again from 27th July to 5th August. The purpose of this email is to enquire if you would be able to donate some much needed medicine to Katie, the only Western vet nurse in Siem Reap, she's rescuing and treating dogs and cats on a voluntary basis. I can link her up in the email if necessary, she's requesting the following:


Drontal worming preparation
It’s in tablets – for deworming cats
Over the counter
Nutrigel (vitamin paste/syrup)
It’s for dogs and cats
Over the counter
Calcium in the form of small bones
For dogs
Over the counter


Clavulanic acid/amoxicillin (clavulox) 50mg
It’s in tablets form. It’s an antibiotic for cats
On prescription? Over the counter?
Cephalexin 50-60mg
It’s also in tablets form, and also an antibiotic for cats
On prescription? Over the counter?

Hope to hear good news, thank you!


Regards
Agnes


E-MAIL REPLY FROM DR SING DATED JUL 6, 2012
I am Dr Sing from Toa Payoh Vets. We spoke today. There are generic drugs which can be used rather than branded ones as requested by Katie and are much less expensive when sourced from Thailand.
Pl ask the vet nurse to contact me by email and let me know more about her work with stray dogs and cats. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Agnes! My timing seems to be a bit off, but I was hoping you might introduce me to your friend Katie? I've been tending some temple kittens for a bit over a month now, and while they are doing well, and down to two from five, someone likewise just recently dumped an older kitten with a bad leg. Part of the tip of the back paw is missing and either he's favoring the leg, or it's broken. At first it looked like it might heal, now it's not, and maybe getting worse. What was pink and raw, now looks crusty and funky and I don't know what to do. Maybe Katie does? If you can, please email / blog post or pass on my number to Katie, +855.972.006.270 (I'm in Siem Reap). Feeling a bit lucky to read about Katie when the only posts I've seen have been how the local vets are semi-witchdoctorish, and the Westerners have all gone away. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Agnes and the lady in the above post.
    I have not heard of Katie before, but I too was not aware of any western vets in SR anymore, as I thought they had all left us. I need to get a kitten most importantly spayed, but also dewormed and de-flead!
    The provincial vet seems to have closed down - I've been past tons of times and still cannot see in on the Angkor high school road. The only other alternative I know of is the vets behind Wat Damnak but that would be a last resort (although she will need to be done in the next couple of days, as she is already into her first heat)
    Any help would be most appreciated, thanks
    Liz

    ReplyDelete