MAP OF SINGAPORE AND YANGON
Scene of Yangon's downtown flats, traffic jam and sprawling suburban area.
Much more suburban areas in Yangon with farms and houses. 2 minutes of VIDEOS
Video of Singapore's apartments and apartments 2 minutes of VIDEOS
Pyometra - pus in the womb
cystic endometrial hyperplasia
vaginal discharge - pus
SOLUTIONS TO CATERWAULING IN YANGON COMPARED TO SINGAPORE
Caterwauling noise nuisance urbanised Singapore
bigger area in Yangon
INCIDENCE OF PYOMETRA IN YANGON COMPARED TO SINGAPORE
Rare in Singapore cats as cat owners spay their home cats. No vets give the birth control injections as a solution to caterwauling.
Common in Yangon cats
Birth control Synthetic progesterone injections for caterwauling
Side effects of the use of such injections
Synthetic progesterone injections - Not given by Singapore vets and requested by cat owners.
The solution is to spay the caterwauling cats. In my over 30 years of practice in Toa Payoh Vets in Singapore, I have not seen a case of cat pyometra.
So I was quite excited in seeing such cases in Royal Asia Veterinary Surgery on visits in July 2014. I followed up this case and communicated with the cat owner.
SUBTITLES IN VIDEO
spay by Dr Aung
Dr Sing talks to owner during consultation and post-op VIDEOS SUBTITLES
LOBULATED WOMB of present case study. Show one image
Image of another cat with pyometra seen during Dr Sing's visit in June 2014
TIPS AND ADVICES
1. Be careful not to incise the full bladder when you incise the skin. Palpate for full bladder first but some vets may not do this and therefore incise the bladder accidentally.
Illustration of "RUB".
Dr Aung expressed the bladder to access the uterus.
2. Make a long skin incision. In my experience, a spay hook is a waste of time as a larger incision enables the vet to take out the swollen womb without the need of a hook.
VIDEO OF HOOKING
1. From a management point of view, the cheapest, convenient and most effective solution to a challenge is the best. In Myanmar cats, a birth-control injection appears to is the cheapest, convenient and most effective solution to stop the cat caterwauling. Usually it is given 3-4 monthly. In this case, the owner was happy to get an annual injection.
2. Culture of the Myanmar people. Most of them are Buddhists.
VIDEO OF UPPASANTHA PAGODA IN NAYPYITAW
Ovariohysterectomy (spaying) involves surgery to remove the ovaries and womb. This surgery may be against the Buddhist belief of causing harm to the cat. So cats are not spayed since there are anti-caterwauling injections.
HOOK - AUDIO OF CATERWAULING CATS in some HDB apartment areas.
3. Spaying leads to death. Some vets in rural areas may not advocate spays. Deaths may be due to lack of sepsis or experience and skills. So antibiotics are prescribed when there is pyometra.