Social media and vet medicine evolve
2,600 veterinarian/staff from companion-animal practices in the US use social media while food-animal practices like bovine veterinarians are starting to use social media for communication with clients using Facebook or educating clients using You Tube videos.
Smartphones and mobile tables (e.g. iPads) are used more nowadays in Singapore for social media (Facebook, Twitter etc), web browsing, e-mails and reading e-books.
Social media platforms, 81.3% said they used one more of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Linkedin, YouTube or Instagram. The purposes of using these platforms were:
- 48% to educate and connect with vet clients
- 45% to connect with veterinary peers
- 38% to get veterinary news updates
- 33% to follow information about veterinary events
- 15% to follow leaders in the veterinary community
Facebook was the most popular personally and professionally.