Thursday, March 3, 2011

Internship resume. How to write it. Case study.

I am publishing the following without editing and I hope it will help some young interns


EMAIL TO A YOUNG MAN DATED MAR 4, 2011


What your mum wants is a general resume she can just submit to her friends who then submit to their accounting contacts to get an internship for you.

Something like the following I wrote for you at 4 am but the text is not well organised as I just write off the cuff. You need to re-write using the following guidelines:

The 3 main headings of a letter/report are:
1. INTRODUCTION:- ABOUT YOURSELF (Don't expect the reader to read inside your resume).

2. MAIN BODY - YOUR RELEVANCE TO THE COMPANY IF THEY ACCEPT YOU AS AN INTERN. What you can do for them. Not what they can do for you! I note that you have been writing about how you can learn a lot by working for them. Well, the company gets such replies from prospective interns all the time. This is the "selfish" aspect of writing for internship and will not light any fire in the prospective employer.

Note that the company is not your father's company and is looking for interns who have what it takes to be useful to the company. It is NOT a training academy for undergraduates and is not paid nor obliged to take mediocre prospects if it is the top 4 accounting firms unless the prospective interns have direct family and business connections to the partners of the firm. The Big 4 usually have their internship vacancies filled early as they get deluged with too many applicants.

Therefore, go for the others although you may write to them (waste of time unless your mum is a celebrity). Emphasize your academic excellence and your employer's testimonial (only one?) and your basketball and Fitness First training linking it to your keeping healthy to be of energetic service to the company.

3. WHY SHOULD THE FIRM TAKE YOU AS AN INTERN.+ TESTIMONIALS


XXX


DR SING'S DRAFT TO THE YOUNG MAN TO HELP HIM WRITE HIS INTERNSHIP APPLICATION LETTER

The Human Resource Manager


Tuesday March 1, 2011


Dear Sir/Madam

INTERNSHIP



I am ....., a .....Malaysian citizen, in my final-year accounting undergraduate at Murdoch University, Perth, Australia, pursuing a degree in Bachelor of Commerce, Professional Accounting. I write to seek an internship in your firm for 2 months during my vacation from ............. to learn much more about the real world of accounting as contrasted to academic studies and case studies in books.

From January - Feb 2011, I worked as an assistant in .....(name of firm) and had hands-on experience in the field of .................... with this company. I enjoyed my internship there and found auditing to be very interesting to me as i got out to meet various corporations and understand more about this aspect of the accounting profession. The boss had given me a good testimonial attached in Annex A. .

For my next vacation in .....June-July?, I am available for around 2 months and will be most grateful if your company will provide an opportunity for me to be an intern, to learn and understand the commercial realities of accounting and auditing.

Studying overseas has nurtured my independent learning and social skills. However, as an overseas student, my University does not make internship placements or recommendations unlike Singapore universities and I will be most grateful if you will provide me an opportunity.


I am a team-player and am able to work the long hours diligently and with the professional attitude expected. I exercise regularly and therefore you will find me a fit and energetic young man.

As an intern, I know that I am to be of use to your company and my mentor. I will need to help out in any administration and other office work like cleaning the desktop and tidying the floor and desks, posting letters or carrying bags, as required by my mentor. I have no problems in doing such tasks.

As I am overseas, it will be difficult for me to attend internship interviews personally. However, I will make the overseas phone calls to your interviewers and receive calls from your company during the time I am not attending lectures. If my application for an internship is sent incorrectly, please help and advise me to send it to the correct department in your company. My e-mail is ........................and my mobile phone is..........................

Thank you for reading this letter. An early reply will be most appreciated.

Yours faithfully






PART OF INTERNSHIP LETTER WRITTEN BY THE YOUNG MAN


Completing the coursework for my modules has also increased my knowledge on accounting.

I am attracted to a career in .... Singapore by the prospect of working one of the top firms in the industry. This would be an excellent exposure for me to advance and grow my career by practising my profession in a well-established platform. With my strong interest in accounting and the skills I have acquired from institution and working experiences, I am confident that I would be an asset to your firm.
. I believe that your firm will be a milestone in my career.

Even though having an internship position is not a requirement to obtaining my degree, I am very enthusiastic in learning more about accounting and would be most grateful if you could provide me with an opportunity to do so. I will be available for internship for the period from 13 June 2011 to 8 August 2011.

I have enclosed my detailed resume, recent academic results and a testimonial from my previous employer, for your further perusal. I look forward to discussing my application with you.



Yours faithfully
Name

Tel
Enclosures

No comments:

Post a Comment