ORONASAL FISTULA IN A DOG - ESTIMATED VETERINARY COST IN 2010
Dr Sing Kong Yuen, BVMS (Glasgow), MRCVS
Case written: November 15, 2007
Update: 25 October, 2010
Be Kind To Pets
I am Dr Sing from Toa Payoh Vets, toapayohvets.com. Thank you for your email. Your dog is suffering from oro-nasal fistula caused usually by the abscess in the root of the big cheek tooth, the 4th premolar. In reply to your queries, see CAPITAL LETTERS below.
I have a jack russell of 7 years old, lately, we have been noticing small bumps on her face, right under her right eye. We have brought her to a vet and was told that it was due to gum problem, and this was further caused by tooth decay.
In that case, if we would like to proceed with a tooth extraction, how much would that cost?
1. SEDATION + ISOFLURANE GAS ANAESTHESIA $200
2. TOOTH EXTRACTION $20/TOOTH
3. DENTAL SCALING OF OTHER TEETH $50
4. POST-OP PAINKILLER AND ANTIBIOTIC INJECTION $30
5. POST-OP PAINKILLER AND ANTIBIOTIC ORAL $30 APPROXIMATELY
6. I/V DRIP + ANTIBIOTICS I/V $60
7. BLOOD TEST $150 (IF YOU DON'T WANT THE TEST, THEN THIS IS ZERO CHARGE)
8. CONSULTATION FEE $40 (NO CHARGE IN THIS CASE AS DIAGNOSIS IS DONE BY YOUR VET)
and what are the procedures?
NO FOOD AND WATER AFTER 10 PM THE DAY BEFORE. THE DOG COMES IN THE MORNING.
WEIGHED, EXAMINED GENERALLY, HEART CHECKED, TEMPERATURE, PULSE AND RESPIRATION DONE. BLOOD TEST (OPTIONAL).
THEN I/V DRIP + ANTIBIOTIC I/V, SEDATION AND GAS ANAESTHESIA. PREMOLAR TOOTH EXTRACTED. OTHER LOOSE ROTTEN TEETH EXTRACTED. DENTAL SCALING OF GOOD TEETH.
INJECTION SC PAINKILLER AND ANTIBIOTICS. THE DOG RESTS IN CAGE FOR >4 HOURS AND OBSERVED. GOES HOME IN THE EVENING.WITH PAIN-KILLER AND ANTIBIOTICS.
Two of my pet owner educational cases of canine oronasal fistula are at: A Pomeranian's facial wound that never heals
When is the soonest that we can have it done? Cause my dog seems to be in great pain.
WITHIN 24 HOURS OF YOU MAKING AN APPOINTMENT BY TEL 6254 3326.LET US KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Name of Owner