Vaccination Schedule at Toa Payoh Vets is as follows:
1. Most puppies to be vaccinated between 6 to 16 weeks at 3-4 weeks intervals
lst vaccination at 6 - 8 weeks
2nd vaccination at 9 - 11 weeks
3rd vaccination at 12 - 14 weeks
2. Breeder's puppies and puppies at high risk
lst vaccination at 6 weeks and then 3-4 weekly.
3. Annual vaccination advised. Although there are vaccines which require 3-yearly revaccinations, these are NOT available in Singapore. They don't cover the 3 core vaccinations (canine distemper, canine parvovirus and canine hepatitis using the CAV-2 vaccine).
4. Kennel cough (Bordetella and canine influenza) vaccines are tiven twice at 6 weeks twice. At least a week before the puppy goes to socialisation class or boarding. Breeders and pet shop puppy sellers in Singapore do NOT vaccinate against kennel cough which may cause pneumonia in puppies though it is like a common cold for adult dogs.
Unsocialised puppies can become aggressive or shy. They need to socialise before 12 -16 weeks of age.
Canine parvovirus is the main risk and they do kill puppies. The environment can infect puppies as the virus remain there.
Canine distemper and hepatitis are uncommon in Singapore. Owners have to take the risk and benefits.
1. Take the socialisation classes when puppies are 14 weeks of age and have received at least 2 parvoviral vaccination.
2. Attend classes which are not full of puppies, e.g. animal shelters, dog park or veterinary clinic. A place with easy to clean impermeable floors. A 1-to-30 leach-water solution will kill the parvovirus. Not possible to bleach grass and soil. Staff to clear faecal deposits, not owners.
3. Small class size and less than one hour of training reduces risk for your puppy.